Employees at North Bay Mall were evacuated for close to an hour Thursday morning after the odour of natural gas was detected in the building.
“We’ve been smelling it off and on for a while,” Karen Leblond said as she and a few others stood outside one of the entrances.
“It’s not that strong . . . but it’s been off and on for a while.”
Union Gas crews were at the mall to inspect the building.
Several employees said they had received no word from anyone on what was happening, other than the order to get out of the building immediately shortly after 9 a.m.
“They aren’t informing is of what is going on,” one person said.
The doors remained unlocked, and some people still went into the building at unmonitored entrances.
“We heard nothing except that we had to get out,” another employee said.
Union Gas okayed the return of employees before 10:30 a.m.
click here to read more.