First phase of $1.4 million waterfront work – Ontario News

First phase of $1.4 million waterfront work – Ontario News

PORT ELGIN – 

The company that will build a new Beach House at Port Elgin Main Beach will be announced April 10 when Saugeen Shores councillors deal with a staff recommendation to award the contract to the winning bidder. 

The timing of implementation of Council’s five-phase redevelopment plans for the Port Elgin waterfront was provided to Town councillors March 27 by Jayne Jagelewski, the Town’s Director of Community Services.

Council has approved $1.4 million for the first phase of the “makeover” which includes a new Beach House, and improvements to deal with storm water erosion at the Green/Harbour St. intersection.

Jagelewski said if the Beach House tender is approved at the next council meeting, construction should be complete before the end of July.

Questioned about plans to extend the promenade, Jagelewksi said they were fortunate to get funding for new wooden promenade last year, but this plan includes concrete curbing and interlock brick.

The $450,000 phase two will extend the promenade from the Beach House to Izzard Rd., including realignment to deal with high water levels.

Coun. Mike Myatt said improved storm water drainage at Green St. is key to improving muddy conditions at the beach entrance. Jagelewski said they are working closely with Public Works to tie-in with existing projects at the main entrance to the beach.

She said parking currently uses prime beach space, and although no additional parking is proposed, they will make adjustments to “reclaim valuable beach space.”

The Town will focus on educating the public to use the Saugeen Shores Trolley to access beach points,…



click here to read more.

Share this post

Post Comment