Cornwall in 1867-76 | Cornwall Standard Freeholder – Ontario News

Cornwall in 1867-76 | Cornwall Standard Freeholder – Ontario News

The Standard-Freeholder, in partnership with Ian Bowering and Don Smith at the SD&G Historical Society and Cornwall Community Museum, are presenting weekly posts illustrating this area’s milestones since 1867.

Each week these items will be grouped by decade – today we present Canada’s first, 1867-76.

Moving forward we’ll publish a decade a week, with the most recent decade featured in the week leading up to Canada Day, July 1.

The text is written by Smith and Bowering, with editing and curation by the Standard-Freeholder. All photos and illustrations are provided courtesy of the Cornwall Community Museum and/or the SD&G Historical Society.


1867

The Stormont Agricultural Society holds its first fair in Newington.

The region’s first cheese “factory” opens at Gray’s Creek (Inverarden House a.k.a. the Campbell estate). Cheese making is a way of preserving perishable, seasonal milk in the 19th century. Cheese factory co-operatives became SDG’s largest industry until the Second World War, when exports to the U.K. were cut.

A building on the northeast corner of Pitt and Second streets was constructed as the home of Cornwall’s Dr. Noah Dickinson, but was never occupied as a house. Between 1826 and 1833, a top floor room served as an interim courthouse. From 1838-43, the majority of the house was used as a barracks. In 1867, it became the Dominion Hall, and later the American House, then the Balmoral Hotel and eventually the King George Hotel. 

On March 8, the British House of Lords and House of Commons passes the British North America (BNA) Act. This and subsequent editions of the BNA Act would ultimately form the core…



click here to read more.

Share this post

Post Comment